Just how toxic is your home? What signs do your look for? Did you know?
1. 150 Chemicals found in the home are associated with allergies, birth defects, cancer, and psychological disorders.
3. The dramatic increase in Asthma rates among women in the past 10 years are believed to be due to longer exposure times to household chemicals.
4. The most common exposures for children were ingestion of household products, such as cleaning substances.
5. Chlorine is the number one cause of child poisoning in the USA.
We are going to explore over the next 4 posts the top 15 chemicals to avoid in your cleaning products and how to replace them. Here are the first 5 to Clean from your list of Cleaners and why!
- Naphthalene causes hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver and neurological damage along with cataracts.
- Kerosene if inhaled: nausea, headaches, drowsiness and coma. If ingested: gastrointestinal irritation, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
- Formaldehyde If ingested: gastrointestinal corrosion. If inhaled: coughing, wheezing, chest pains.
- Phenol If inhaled or exposed to skin: irritation to mucous membranes, skin and eyes. Can cause convulsions, coma and irregular breathing.
- Cresol If inhaled or ingested: blood and liver problems, respiratory tract irritation, irritant to skin.
All these symptoms sound so inviting! The next posts will covet the remaining 10 chemicals to avoid and how to replace them with environmentally friendly cleaning products. Stay tuned for the rest of the Toxic Soap Opera!